[LON-CAPA-admin] Warning: Problem with support e-mail address

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Sep 6 13:15:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

> What is causing the warning?

The warning is caused because in the Domain Configuration for your
domain in the "Helpdesk requests to be e-mailed to:" row, the
checkboxes for both: "Support E-mail" and "Admin E-mail" are
unchecked, and no other e-mail addresses have been entered in the
"Others:" textbox for that same "Helpdesk requests" row.

> Is the support e-mail address the same as set in PerlSetVar lonAdmEMail
> stored in loncapa.conf?

Possibly.

The first time LON-CAPA is installed, and ./UPDATE is run you are
prompted to enter:
(a) Admin E-mail address
(b) Support E-mail address

from the command line.

Those two e-mail addresses are stored in the perlvars:
PerlSetVar     lonAdmEMail
PerlSetVar     lonSupportEMail

Those perlvars will be used until such time as you have displayed the
"Contact Information" screen in the domain configuration GUI in you
web browser for your domain (which sets values is configuration.db --
see below).

The two initial values set in the parlvars will be used to populate
the following items in the domain configuration screen, the very first
time you display that screen via:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Display (Contact Information checked)

Default Server Admin E-mail address
Support E-mail address

In addition, the checkbox for "Support E-mail" will be checked in the row:
Helpdesk requests to be e-mailed to.

Once you have displayed that configuration screen, those initial
settings will also be written to the configuration.db file housed on
the primary library server for your domain.

Thereafter, the destination of e-mail sent by any of the domain's
servers for a variety of LON-CAPA utilities (including "Contact
Helpdesk") is determined by the settings in the domain configuration.

The lonSupportEMail perlvar will no longer be consulted when
determining the destination to which e-mail is to be sent from the
helpdesk web form.

Use of the "Contact Information" domain configuration, which
supersedes the use of the lonAdmEMail and lonSupportEMail perlvars is
preferred because:

(a) You can configure delivery of certain types of e-mail to different users.
(b) You can set the e-mail recipients for all servers in your domain
from one screen.
(c) On a multi-domain server, such as loncapa10.fsu.edu, you can
configure e-mail delivery options differently for the different
domains hosted on your server.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium