[LON-CAPA-admin] ports for library/access server

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Thu Sep 5 09:47:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sep 5, 2013, at 9:32 AM, "Moore, Nathan T" <NMoore at winona.edu> wrote:

> Apologies if this is a common question.
>
> I am setting up a lon-capa library and access server.  From the
> documentation, it looks like the necessary ports to be part of the network
> are:
>
> 80, 8080, 5663, 22, 25
>

> 1. Do both library and access servers need to have all of these ports open?

Yes, except newer version do not require port 8080 anymore - so you can skip that one completely.

> 2. Can any of these ports be restricted to a subset of IP's, e.g. Only
> computers from within my institution, or only other library servers?  My
> IT department is nervous about opening these ports to the whole world and
> would like to restrict them, if possible.

Ports 80 and 5663 need to be completely open.

Port 22 is only for maintenance (ssh, sftp) and can (should?) be restricted.

Port 25 is for email, when the server sends notifications. If you want those to get outside your building, it needs to be open.

- Gerd.