[LON-CAPA-admin] Images not showing up in student view for some questions

Michael Dugdale michael.dugdale at johnabbott.qc.ca
Thu Oct 17 20:52:40 EDT 2013

Hi,

Looking for some help here.  A chemistry teacher has reported a number of cases where the images associated with a problem don't show up for students.  It loads fine for course coordinators.  It's just the images that are included in the problem that are not showing up; the rest of the problem loads fine.

Trying to open just the image in a new tab (as student) gives the following error:

-----------------------------
LON-CAPA Access Control

Access  : Browse resources
Resource: /res/vcu/s2bdedmo/SOL05_HS_Chemistry/images/SOLHS05_Chemistry_19_MixingSolutionsTable.JPG
Action  : Access Denied

Sorry ...
This action is currently not authorized.
------------------------------

I've looked in the file system, and the files are there, owner/group are www:www with permissions -rw-r--r--

As far as Apache logs go, I see many remarks of the form:

[Thu Oct 17 20:23:36 2013] [error] access to /res/vcu/s2bdedmo/SOL05_HS_Chemistry/images/SOLHS05_Chemistry_19_MixingSolutionsTable.JPG failed for 74.57.249.17, reason: Access Denied for michaeldugdale domain johnabbott access bre

Trying to get a sense of what's going on, I checked the problem file on the server's file system and it does, indeed have the line
 <allow src="/res/vcu/s2bdedmo/SOL05_HS_Chemistry/images/SOLHS05_Chemistry_19_MixingSolutionsTable.JPG"/ >

And I've double-checked that SELINUX is disabled...

I'm fresh out of ideas about where to look next. Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should look?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Dugdale

Michael Dugdale
Co-chair (Scheduling)