[LON-CAPA-admin] Need a way to change all student IDs in our database

Jeffrey Wilson jwilson at sc.edu
Tue Jul 16 17:50:57 EDT 2013

Hi Stuart,

Your instructions worked as advertised.   I was able to extract a list
of usernames and their associated student IDs.

When I sort the list by username I notice that some usernames have more
than one ID associated with them.  I suspect that the database contains
a history of IDs entered for each username.

For example, a sample student I created a while ago has the following
entries in the ids.db:

111234567 = wilsonteststudent
001234567 = wilsonteststudent

After I create a file with new ID information and upload that using the
LonCapa add/modify user web interface I now find in the ids.db:

111234567 = wilsonteststudent
001234567 = wilsonteststudent
1000111667 = wilsonteststudent

The third entry is the one now visible to LonCapa.

I need to replace, or remove, the old entries that are in the database.
I suspect that this might be doable with SQL queries using the update
function to replace the offending IDs with new ones rather than using
the LonCapa interface, which seems to create a new database entry.

What would you suggest we look at next?

Thanks,
Jeff