[LON-CAPA-admin] Cookie problems but still switched?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jan 30 11:46:28 EST 2013

Hi,

> *httpd error_log gives:  /home/httpd/html/adm/switchserver failed
> for xx.xx.xx.xx, reason: Cookie  not valid

This message is logged on a lonbalancer server each time a user
successfully authenticates, and is then internally redirected to
/adm/switchserver (i.e., it is logged for every successful log-in via
a lonbalancer server).

Accordingly, it is not really an error, despite its appearance in the
Apache ssl_error_log file (or error_log file for non-SSL Apache), and
the use of the word "failed".

What is happening here is that lonauth.pm authenticates the user, and
then checks if the server should offload the user session (which will
be yes, if it's a lonbalancer server). If yes, an internal redirect
occurs to /adm/switchserver.

Because there was no lonID from a cookie in the original request (the
user was authenticating) when lonacc.pm is called during handling of
the request for /adm/switchserver it finds no user session, and logs
the message you see.

Anyway, lonacc.pm (see rev. 1.142 --
http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/loncom/auth/lonacc.pm?rev=1.142 )
now skips logging in this particular case.  However, it may be
preferable to actually log this event (calling switchserver after
successful authentication on a lonbalancer server), in some other way.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium