[LON-CAPA-admin] server load

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at ostfalia.de
Fri Oct 26 10:44:48 EDT 2012

Hi James,

Some additional notes:

There could be different reasons for a high server load. A simple one
could be to have not enough memory (RAM) in the server while many
students are working at the same time.

The server automatically offloads (if available) to other access servers
when users try to login and the server load exceeds 100%. Some functions
are temporarily disabled, too, e.g. student progress chart.

The displayed value for "server load" is the load value seen when using
top, as Mark wrote, related to the specified value for lonLoadLim in
loncapa.conf. Default is 2.00. Example: configured load limit is 2.00,
current value is 0.10 -> server load: 0.10/2.00 = 0.05 -> 5%

The user load limit needs also to be configured. Default is 0 which
means not active.

To change the values, loncapa.conf (/etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf) needs
to be updated. The administrator is offered to change these values when
LON-CAPA is first installed or when upgraded. The changes are written to
loncapa.conf.

I am seeing an old LON-CAPA release for the sc domain. The current
release 2.10.1 does suppress the user load if not active. If the value
for lonUserLoadLim in loncapa.conf is 0, no actual user load is measured
and is always displayed as 0 in old releases.

Stefan Bisitz