[LON-CAPA-admin] System Upgrades

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Thu Oct 4 13:12:02 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Oct 4, 2012, at 1:03 PM, James Clawson <clawsonj at mailbox.sc.edu> wrote:

> Should I upgrade the OS first and then LONCAPA?

Probably a good sequence.

>  From what I have read, I could install the latest CentOS from scratch on the access servers and then the latest LONCAPA.

That is correct, as long as the DNS entries remain the same.

http://www.lon-capa.org/fedoracoreupdate.html

http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2011-December/002571.html

> Do all the servers need to be done at the same time?

No, not exactly at the same time. But in order to not confuse the users, I would recommend to not have different versions running on different machines.

>  Can I "practice" on one of the access servers to get my feet wet, then do the other access server, then the library server?

The library server is fundamentally different, so it's not really good "practice."

>  This may go over multiple days.
>
> Should I wait until we are not using the system (mid to late December) to attempt this.

Yes, I would do this over a break, not in the middle of the running semester. Schedule a real downtime for this.

- Gerd.