[LON-CAPA-admin] Log in Again

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Fri Jan 6 17:32:41 EST 2012

Thanks!

Mark

On Jan 6, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Stuart Raeburn wrote:

Hi,

I've recently noticed that the Log-in Again link that is provided once one
logs out of LON-CAPA now points to  capa6.phy.ohiou.edu<http://capa6.phy.ohiou.edu>

I must have moused over send on my previous reply, before I had
finished typing the message. Accordingly the following comment at the
end of that message was incomplete:

Without that patch, or if no portal is defined, then if the current
host has a redirect defined in:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click display (with Default
authentication/language/timezone/portal checked).

What I had meant to say was:

Without that patch, or if no portal is defined, then if the current
server has a redirect defined in:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click display (with Log-in
page options
 checked).

the "Log-in again" link on that server will point at whatever is set
in the redirect.

The redirect prevents log-in via a particular server.  Whenever the
/adm/login page is requested on that server, a redirect occurs (for
example to a lonBalancer server).

In the absence of a redirect, the "Login again" link on the logout
page will point at the least busy LON-CAPA server from the servers in
the user's domain.

The above discussion is not relevant if:

(a) there is only one server in the user's domain

or

(b) the use logged in using SSO, and a PerlVar of lonSSOReloginServer
has an associated value in one of the Apache configuration files
(behavior in LON-CAPA 2.5.1 and later).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group

Hi,

I've recently noticed that the Log-in Again link that is provided once one
logs out of LON-CAPA now points to  capa6.phy.ohiou.edu<http://capa6.phy.ohiou.edu>

Prior to 2.10.1, unless you had used SSO (single sign on) for login
(and lonSSOReloginServer was set in an Apache config file), the "Log-in
again" link would point to /adm/login on the server which just hosted
your session.

The behavior for SSO remains the same in 2.10.1.

However, for non-SSO sign-on there is a change to the URL pointed at by
the "Log-in again" link.

The release notes for LON-CAPA 2.10.1 contain the following note:

- Destination of "Log-in again" link on logout page determined in the order:
    (1) portal page for user's domain (if defined).
    (2) the domain's portal server, if log-in pages for user's domain's
        servers are set to redirect (e.g., to a lonBalancer server).
    (3) least busy server in user's domain.

Although you can set the default portal page, as Domain Coordinator, via:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click display (with Default
authentication/language/timezone/portal checked).

unfortunately, this value is ignored when domain defaults values are
next cached. On a 2.10.1 server you can fix this omission by patching
lonnet.pm with rev 1.1056.4.34, which has this one line change from
1.1056.4.33, shipped with 2.10.1

added line 1579.
+        $domdefaults{'portal_def'} = $domconfig{'defaults'}{'portal_def'};

or you can do (as root) -- all on one line:

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonnet.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/lonnet/perl/lonnet.pm?rev=1.1056.4.34;content-type=text/plain'

/etc/init.d/httpd reload

With that patch in place, if you set a portal for users in the ohiou
domain, then the "Log-in again" link will point to that portal server
whichever 2.10.1 server hosted the session which the user just ended.

Quoting "Lucas, Mark" <lucasm at ohio.edu<mailto:lucasm at ohio.edu>>:

I've recently noticed that the Log-in Again link that is provided once one
logs out of LON-CAPA now points to
capa6.phy.ohiou.edu<http://capa6.phy.ohiou.edu> if you are logged in
from the ohiou domain.

How is this machine determined? Is there a parameter that I've
missed somewhere?

Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark Lucas  email: lucasm at ohiou.edu<mailto:lucasm at ohiou.edu>
252D Clippinger Lab phone: (740)597-2984