[LON-CAPA-admin] Log in Again

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Jan 6 14:17:55 EST 2012

Hi,

> I've recently noticed that the Log-in Again link that is provided once one
> logs out of LON-CAPA now points to  capa6.phy.ohiou.edu

Prior to 2.10.1, unless you had used SSO (single sign on) for login
(and lonSSOReloginServer was set in an Apache config file), the
"Log-in again" link would point to /adm/login on the server which just
hosted your session.

The behavior for SSO remains the same in 2.10.1.

However, for non-SSO sign-on there is a change to the URL pointed at
by the "Log-in again" link.

The release notes for LON-CAPA 2.10.1 contain the following note:

- Destination of "Log-in again" link on logout page determined in the order:
      (1) portal page for user's domain (if defined).
      (2) the domain's portal server, if log-in pages for user's domain's
          servers are set to redirect (e.g., to a lonBalancer server).
      (3) least busy server in user's domain.

Although you can set the default portal page, as Domain Coordinator, via:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click display (with Default
authentication/language/timezone/portal checked).

unfortunately, this value is ignored when domain defaults values are
next cached. On a 2.10.1 server you can fix this omission by patching
lonnet.pm with rev 1.1056.4.34, which has this one line change from
1.1056.4.33, shipped with 2.10.1

added line 1579.
+        $domdefaults{'portal_def'} = $domconfig{'defaults'}{'portal_def'};

or you can do (as root) -- all on one line:

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonnet.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/lonnet/perl/lonnet.pm?rev=1.1056.4.34;content-type=text/plain'

/etc/init.d/httpd reload

With that patch in place, if you set a portal for users in the ohiou
domain, then the "Log-in again" link will point to that portal server
whichever 2.10.1 server hosted the session which the user just ended.

Without that patch, or if no portal is defined, then if the current
server has a redirect defined in:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Click display (with Log-in
page options
  checked).

the "Log-in again" link on that server will point at whatever is set
in the redirect.

The redirect prevents log-in via a particular server.  Whenever the
/adm/login page is requested on that server, a redirect occurs (for
example to a lonBalancer server).

In the absence of a redirect, the "Login again" link on the logout
page will point at the least busy LON-CAPA server from the servers in
the user's domain.

The above discussion is not relevant if:

(a) there is only one server in the user's domain

or

(b) the use logged in using SSO, and a PerlVar of lonSSOReloginServer
has an associated value in one of the Apache configuration files
(behavior in LON-CAPA 2.5.1 and later).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group