[LON-CAPA-admin] domain coordinator cannot log in on new system

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Aug 9 14:19:12 EDT 2012

Hi,

> So no joy yet. Without a domain coordinator, I'm going nowhere fast,
>  but thanks for trying. I'm running out of ideas.

Since a domain coordinator account created via the command line is
filesystem ("UNIX") authenticated you need a patched version of
/usr/local/sbin/pwauth installed on your server with the correct
permissions so that lond can authenticate the user's credentials
passed in via the web log-in page:

http://lon-capa-test.bsu.edu/

Installation of LON-CAPA on a clean Linux system requires running
./install.pl in the "installation" directory, created when you extract
the contents of the tarball which you download from:

http://install.loncapa.org/linux/install.tar

-- see step 4 of the LON-CAPA installation notes for CentOS 6:
http://install.loncapa.org/centos6_install.html

Can you check the permissions and file size for:

/usr/local/sbin/pwauth

It should be similar to:

-rwsr-sr-x   1 root root 15706

If something is not correct with pwauth you can run ./install.pl
again, answering "y" to the prompt: "Install the package LON-CAPA uses
to authenticate users?"

Note you need both gcc and patch installed on your system to be able
to compile the version of pwauth required by LON-CAPA.

I am assuming that you are able to set the password via the command
line for the bsudc user, and that you are able to bring up a shell
session via ssh for the bsudc user, using the password you have
assigned to the bsudc account.

If this does not resolve the issue, the next step would be to convert
the bsudc to use internal LON-CAPA authentication, using a text editor
(e.g., vim) from the command line to modify
/home/httpd/lonUsers/bsu/b/s/u/bsudc/passwd

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group