[LON-CAPA-admin] "Googling" loncapa john abbott gives correct server, but with wrong domain

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Thu Sep 29 07:18:45 EDT 2011

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is a known problem. So far, I have not come up with any good solution. Trying to make Google do certain things is like alchemy, they don't tell you how they operate, and there is a potentially large delay loop in seeing any effects. I am not sure Google listens to robots.txt and meta-tags. One thing you could try is look at your access log if Google even tries to get a robots.txt file - if you never see any access to that filename from a Google robot, they don't use it.

I am afraid the best solution is to again tell the students to go to the right URL … yes, I know, our students are the same …

- Gerd.