[LON-CAPA-admin] "Googling" loncapa john abbott gives correct server, but with wrong domain

Michael Dugdale michael.dugdale at johnabbott.qc.ca
Wed Sep 28 23:21:22 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm not sure how this has occurred, but somewhere out there, google has created a link that is causing a bit of a headache.  Rather than use the links provided by their teachers, students have been "googling" lon-capa john abbott qc ca in order to get to their assignments.

Interestingly enough, google seems to have some inkling that our little installation exists.  However, all of the top hits involve a pre-selected domain that isn't ours.  Depending on the search terms used, the domains elps, csm, ndsu etc… all show up.  The domain johnabbott does not.

Needless to say, this has been causing some serious headaches b/c the students don't notice the incorrect domain (or colour scheme, or school logo) and complain about not being able to log in.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and/or could offer some advice on mitigating this issue.  I was thinking, perhaps, a robots.txt file?

Many thanks,

Michael Dugdale,
Department of Physics
John Abbott College