[LON-CAPA-admin] "large" DNS lookup requests

James Mueller mueller at pitt.edu
Wed Aug 3 17:12:47 EDT 2011

We received a notice from our campus IT security people that the machine we use as the library server

"was doing a large number of dns lookups on (the primary dns server).  I mean a large amount. Can you take a look or do you know what might have caused it?"

4am is when cron.daily runs, but we can't find anything in the logs that is out of the ordinary.  We received a similar alert on May 18th, so this is a rare occurrence.  I agreed to post something here just in case someone else has experienced something like this, but with it being this rare, I don't expect anything.

-Jim