[LON-CAPA-admin] Freeing up some space on our library server

Mark Lucas lucasm at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 4 10:11:30 EDT 2010

Eric,

I don't have any real answer for you, but I can say that I've contemplated the following somewhat
kludgey solution if we were to close in on our limit:

I've considered getting a slow but big USB drive, copying the files that haven't been touched in X years, and
leaving symbolic links in their place on the SCSI Raid Array. Then every once in a while you check to see if
there are files that have actually been accessed and bring them back on if deemed reasonable.

Yes, it's an ungraceful kludge. It might be that one focuses on simply users, as the student files for a course can
get pretty large.

One thing to check out is how large the log files are getting to be. It may be that you can rotate them a little more
often and set a size cap on them. You just have to make sure your willing to tradeoff access for forensics in
case of a problem with how far back you want log files.

Just my 2 cents,

Mark

Mark Lucas 								email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab						phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy		fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701