[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrading from version 2.6.3

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu May 27 14:24:02 EDT 2010

Paul,

>> I agree that frequently-updated distros are a huge headache to  maintain,

Yes, that is the significant point here.

Historically we have seen that Fedora installations running LON-CAPA
tend not to keep up with the Fedora project's policy of putting a new
release out every 6 months, and also limiting support for any
particular release to 13 months.  Equally, LON-CAPA releases were out
of sync with Fedora releases in recent months until support was added
for Fedora 10, 11, and 12 with this week's 2.9.0 release.

Gerd's characterization of certain distros (e.g., Ubuntu) as being fun
and user-friendly desktop systems does not tell the whole story.  As
you mention LTS (Long Term Support) versions of Ubuntu are available,
and the support extends to 5 years for the Server version.  The LTS
server versions of Ubuntu are the ones for which LON-CAPA support is
being made available.

> Stuart did some work on Debian and Ubuntu, and got things running.

As announced at this year's LON-CAPA conference, LON-CAPA 2.10
(scheduled for release at the start of August) will be supported on
Debian 5 and Ubuntu LTS.  In fact LON-CAPA 2.9 already runs on Debian
5 and Ubuntu LTS (6.06 and 8.04), and the necessary
loncapa-prerequisites.deb packages (as well as additional .deb
packages for dependencies unavailable from standard repos) have been
created.  However, installation instructions need to be prepared, and
the corresponding apt repos need to be deployed on install.loncapa.org
before this support becomes official.  Support for Ubuntu 10.04 will
also be added in due course.

Over the years there have been a number of inquiries from LON-CAPA
users about support for Ubuntu, including offers to test out
installation of LON-CAPA once Ubuntu support is available.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group