[LON-CAPA-admin] ldap authentication

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sun Jun 6 13:03:21 EDT 2010

Lars,

> ....I don't understand how it can be that a student can login
> (authenticating through ldap) without the student's directory being
> created under lonUsers.

If a domain has configured self-creation of accounts for institutional
login (e.g., with authentication type: local) LON-CAPA can
authenticate the user, but the user will not receive an account (with
creation of a user directory in /home/httpd/lonUsers on the primary
library server for the domain), until a "Create LON-CAPA account"
button has been clicked on a screen displayed after username and
password have been submitted via the standard log-in screen (and were
authenticated).  This intermediate screen also allows the user to
provide user information (e.g., first name, last name, which were not
retrieved from an institutional source such as LDAP), as permitted by
the domain configuration.

If the user is authenticated but has no LON-CAPA account, the
following will be logged in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.log on the
server hosting the user session:

but needs account"

Although the user has authenticated he/she does not have a LON-CAPA
session until the "Create LON-CAPA account" is clicked, and the
information submitted from that page has been verified.

Note: for account creation to be successful, the domain configuration
has to have appropriate settings (see earlier post:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2010-June/002387.html), and
the user's institutional status must satisfy any constraints defined
for the domain.

As LON-CAPA is a networked system, the user's browser interaction can
potentially occur on any server in the network, but the permanent
storage of the user account (e.g., the creation of a user directory in
/home/httpd/lonUsers will occur on the primary library server in the
domain).

Consequently, /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonnet.pm on the server
hosting the session, and /home/httpd/perl/lond on the primary library
server in the user's domain are involved in the process.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group