[LON-CAPA-admin] Problem with hardware migration

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jan 11 08:32:30 EST 2010

Hello,

> I cannot log in with a locally authenticated (LDAP)
> account.
>
> What could be wrong?  Is there any log files other than
> /home/httpd/perl/logs/ and /var/log/httpd/ that I could examine?

Have you been able to test the result of calling the localauth
subroutine in your custom /home/httpd/lib/perl/localauth.pm outside of
LON-CAPA, i.e., via a test perl script run as the user www on the
command line?

> I am switching from a 32 bit to a 64 bit server, but I did
> run the db_copy.pl script.

Tis should not be an issue here as the authentication type used by a
user with localauth is read from a text file, not a GDBM db file.

The call to use your customized /home/httpd/lib/perl/localauth.pm to
authenticate a user in your domain occurs in /home/httpd/perl/lond

If you make changes to that module you will need to restart loncontrol:

/etc/init.d/loncontrol restart

for the calls from lond to use them.

Logging information stored in lond via LON-CAPA's &logthis() mechanism
will be stored in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lond.log

You can test this out by returning a value of -1 from your localauth
subroutine in /home/httpd/lib/perl/localauth.pm

This is the section of lond which implements the logging for this case:

if ($validated < 0) {
     &logthis("localauth for $contentpwd $user:$domain returned a $validated");
     $validated = 0;
}

Any debugging information you capture via

"print STDERR"

lines added to localauth.pm will be written to
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lond_errors.

The contents of the lond_errors file are not stored permanently, as
the file is overwritten with a new empty file when the LON-CAPA
daemons are started (or restarted) via:

/etc/init.d/loncontrol restart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group