[LON-CAPA-admin] Problem with hardware migration

Andreas Knab knab2ar at jmu.edu
Mon Jan 4 17:00:31 EST 2010

Hello!

I am having problems with moving LON CAPA to a new server.  I followed
the instructions for Hardware Upgrades and the new server is up and
running, but I cannot log in with a locally authenticated (LDAP)
account.  I am switching from a 32 bit to a 64 bit server, but I did
run the db_copy.pl script.

I know the localauth.pm file is being loaded - if there is a syntax
error in that file, lond won't start.

I know that LON CAPA reads the passwd file for my user account - when
I go to password reset it correctly tells me that the password cannot
be reset through LON CAPA.  If I try to reset a password for a
non-existing account, it correctly tells me that as well.

When I try to log in though, I get back to the login screen without
any messages or errors displayed.  As far as I can tell, the code in
localauth.pm is not being executed, although I am not 100% sure.  I
have some print STDERR statements in there, but they don't seem to
appear in any log file, and trying to cause exceptions in the code
also does not produce any errors in the browser or any log file.  I
also tried to immediately return 1; with no luck.

What could be wrong?  Is there any log files other than
/home/httpd/perl/logs/ and /var/log/httpd/ that I could examine?

Thanks for any suggestions or hints.

Andreas