[LON-CAPA-admin] System upgrade: moving users over?

Lars Jensen ljensen at tmcc.edu
Thu May 14 04:48:18 EDT 2009

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I'm going from suse to Centos,
and apparently it is not possible to just copy over the password fils -
see comment on the page you referred me to:

"Transfer /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow from the
old machine to the new one

Warning: this does not work if you go from Fedora to SUSE or vice versa,
since these distributions use different encryption algorithms. If you
switch distributions, you need to make the file-system-based LON-CAPA
users from the command line."

Two years ago, we went from Fedora to Suse, and we managed to transfer
the users fine. Unfortunately, I don't remember how we transferred the
users, but I recall a similar problem to the one I'm seeing here.

Lars.