[LON-CAPA-admin] Prepare printable document stalling on 2.8.1 / fedora 9

loncapa_admin loncapa_admin at johnabbott.qc.ca
Sun Aug 23 13:48:47 EDT 2009

Hello, I was wondering if this is just a local problem, or if others have seen the same behaviour.

I upgraded our servers to loncapa 2.8.1 just after our semester ended in May.  Before then, we had been running 2.8.0 with no printing problems.  Since then, our servers were under pretty light load and it's possible the  "Prepare a printable document" feature wasn't tested.

I've just received a message from one of our teachers stating that the "Prepare printable documents" feature wasn't working.  I've since tried it myself and can confirm that it's stalling on "Class Print Status: for Michael T Dugdale now LaTeXing file,  bytes generated."  That's it, no byte count... the page never refreshes.

Under /var/log/httpd/errorlog, I'm getting:
"[Sun Aug 23 12:31:26 2009] [error] [client 96.23.67.210] Couldn't open log file /home/httpd/prtspool/michaeldugdale_johnabbott_printout_1251045083_6544_1.log for reading: No such file or directory, referer: http://kepler.johnabbott.qc.ca/adm/printout"

Checking the *errors logs in /home/httpd/perls/logs, I'm not seeing anything, nor in any other logs under /var/log.

Looking in /home/httpd/prtspool, I can see that the .tex file is being generated.  Interestingly enough, if I manually latex the file (thus producing the associated .dvi, .aux and .log files) in /home/httpd/prtspool/ and then refresh the browser page, the printable pdf is produced correctly.

So it seems that the tex file is produced correctly, and the dvips -> pstopdf chain is working correctly, but not the first call to latex.

Has anyone else seen such behaviour in 2.8.1, or is this a purely local problem?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Michael Dugdale
Department of Physics
John Abbott College