[LON-CAPA-admin] Domain coordinator cannot log in after upgrade

Neubauer, Paul R. pneubauer at bsu.edu
Fri Oct 17 17:53:38 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

I have (finally) upgraded the OS on our library server from Fedora Core 4 to Centos 5.2. It's a long story, and I don't feel like going into the whole nine yards at the moment. I will post a real description of the process soon though. The result is that right now *nearly* everything works. The notable exception is that the domain coordinator account cannot log in.

I have more or less concluded that we do not actually have a domain coordinator right now. After some poking around, I found /root/loncapa-2.7.1/loncom/build/make_domain_coordinator.pl and tried to run it.

I did the following:
cd /root/loncapa-2.7.1/loncom/build
perl make_domain_coordinator.pl bsu bsudc

Then, I entered the password at the prompt and got the message:

**** ERROR **** bsudc is already a linux operating system user.
For security reasons, this script will only automatically generate
new users, not pre-existing users.
If you want to make 'bsudc' a domain coordinator, you
should do so manually by customizing the MANUAL PROCEDURE
described in the documentation.  To view the documentation
for this script, type 'perldoc ./make_domain_coordinator.pl'.

So I ran the perldoc command and got instructions there. I got up to step 9:

       9. (as www). Run CVS:loncapa/doc/rolesmanip.pl:
            Command: [prompt %] perl rolesmanip.pl DOMAIN USERNAME
            Example: [prompt %] perl rolesmanip.pl 103 dc103

However, I cannot find rolesmanip.pl anywhere. Where is it? It is certainly not in /root/loncapa-2.7.1/loncom/doc (which does not exist).

To add insult to injury, I also accidentally ran:
perl make_domain_coordinator.pl bsudc bsu

and accidentally created a domain coordinator named "bsu" for the (nonexistent) "bsudc" domain instead of a coordinator named "bsudc" for the (real) "bsu" domain. I deleted the user, but how do I delete the database entry for the spurious user?

Thanks,
Paul