[LON-CAPA-admin] Using a program to print capa results

Mark Lucas lucasm at ohio.edu
Thu May 8 13:38:06 EDT 2008

Bob,

I'm not sure I have the answer you're looking for, but here are a couple
of things to think about:

* Chart is the place where you can easily see who has done what. To tell
which students have done their work, you can run chart for a specific
section and ask it to tell you points per problem.

* I presume that you have the students in different sections according
to their lab section.

* I realize this doesn't get the 'printout all done for the TA so they
just have to pick it up', but you could give all of the graduate
students TA roles in the course. My understanding (we'd have to double
check) is that they can view records for their own students, but cannot
view information for other students. They also cannot change any course
material.

   Under this scenario, a grad student would log in each week, select
the section, go to chart and print out student performance.

   This has the added benefit that the grad student could actually peek
in at their students a day or two before to see how they are doing. They
could send a collective nudge if they wanted.

Automating all of this is a little harder for LON-CAPA, but you could
also consider the following cycle:

* Course Coordinator goes into chart and creates an excel spreadsheet or
csv file for all of the students, including the information for their
section. This file is then run through a perl script to create separate
printouts for each section. The downside is that it requires some
intervention. Not a lot, but some each week.

Hope this helps,
Mark