[LON-CAPA-admin] Problem possibly involving "multiple attempts"?

Neubauer, Paul R. pneubauer at bsu.edu
Mon Jun 23 12:42:28 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this?

We had a couple of students yesterday (Sunday) afternoon who both reported being unable to do assignments. The system load was light. One student reported "it will say "successful login"  but then nothing else will load and it won't let me access other parts of the site." Another said that the system "consistently freezes up, kicks me off, or doesn't allow me to submit an answer." The second later reported that "It seems that it has trouble registering every time I get an answer incorrect when it allows multiple attempts. The program is perfect when answers are correct, but when I get many chances it likes to freeze up."  I don't know if the first of the two noticed anything similar, but they were in the same class and doing similar assignments.

I notice that both of these students got a significant number of "302" http return codes (for multiple questions) and I don't know if that is possibly related. OTOH, I did a "grep -c " 302 " acc* " to see if the number of 302s was abnormally high, and it seemed to be pretty comparable for the current access_log and for past logs (compared to the number of lines in the logs), so I'm not particularly convinced that this had anything to do with the problems they were experiencing.

Both of the students said that they had not had this problem in the past, so I can't tell if it was something to do with the specific assignment or something else.

We're still running lon-capa version 2.5.3.

Does any of this ring any bells?

Thanks,
Paul