[LON-CAPA-admin] LON-CAPA version 2.6.1 slower?

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jan 23 16:23:13 EST 2008

Hi,

It is entirely reasonable that that one particular operation - upload of a
CSV classlist into a course - will take longer in 2.6.X than it did in
2.5.X.

The reason is that in 2.6.X, before modifying user information (name, email
address, student ID/number) for existing users, based on data in the
uploaded file, checking now occurs to determine if domain-wide settings (set
by the DC via Domain Configuration) permit this information to be changed
for existing users in the domain. This can depend on the context of the CSV
file upload (course, author, or domain), and the role being assigned to each
user.  In cases where the student number is changed, a check is made to see
if the proposed new number is consistent with any rules defined for student
ID/numbers in the domain.

When the addition of a user to a course requires creation of a new username
in the domain, a check is made to see if the proposed username is consistent
with username rules defined for the domain.  The rules themselves need to be
defined in a customized version of /home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm, but
the DC can choose which rules (if any have been defined) are enforced or not
enforced using the Domain Configuration screen.

I'll take a look at the code and see if these operations which occur when
processing users in an uploaded file can be optimized so they will complete
more quickly.  I just uploaded a CSV file of 10 students to a test course on
a 2.6.1 machine, and the enrollment process took 2 seconds per student,
which is certainly not a speedy operation.  I'll try the same on a 2.5.3
machine for comparison.

By the way, in 2.6.X, uploads of user lists, in CSV format, can be used to
assign roles to users besides "student" (e.g., custom roles, or TAs etc.).
In addition CSV uploads can also be used by a user in the role of Domain
Coordinator to change authentication type (and password for internally
authenticated users), as well as student number for users in a domain.  In
earlier versions of LON-CAPA, use of CSV file upload was limited to student
roster management in a course.

I would expect no difference between 2.5.X and 2.6.X in the time required to
upload other types of CSV files (e.g., scores to a score upload form).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group