[LON-CAPA-admin] Map not loaded error and missing problems/sequence file

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Dec 5 13:29:43 EST 2008

Eric,

One question here is: which server was the CC logged into when the
particular folder was copied in DOCS?

For this particular case (where copying an existing folder failed)
these warnings can be eliminated by clicking the "continue" link from
the course initialization page which displays these "Map not loaded"
messages and then via 'Edit Course' deleting the folders corresponding
to these non-existent sequence files.

It should be apparent which are the folders for which copying failed
because in the Navigate Contents page I would expect they would be
designated by jigsaw piece icons, instead of folder icons.  Obviously,
for each the url in the link for the jigswa piece should be checked
against the names of the files generating the "Map not loaded"
messages to check that the correct item has been identified before
deletion. Name checking unfortunately will be somewhat painful given
such a long file name (indicative of an extensive clone/copy history
for the particular folder).

What happened here was that LON-CAPA updated the contents of the
top-level sequence (default.sequence) with references to these
"copied" folders, but the actual copying of the files had failed
somewhere.

You'll find records in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.log on the server
which was hosting the CC's session when copying failed, and possibly
also in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lond.log on the library server if a
problem occurred when trying to replicate the new sequence file from
the server hosting the session to  permanent storage on the course's
library server.

If the CC was logged into the library server when the copy folder
action was carried out on the library server, your addition of a new
access server and subsequent switching of IP addresses on the access
servers would be unrelated to this copy failure.  However, if the
session was hosted on one of the access servers it is possible I
suppose that the library server could not connect to the access server
where the copy occurred. This behavior would depend on the timing of
propagation of DNS changes in your network, and the timing of
refreshing of cached ip/host information used by the Apache children.

 From a LON-CAPA perspective it's clear that the return value of
&Apache::lonclonecourse::writefile() needs to be checked in londocs.pm
before updating the map into which the user was attempting to paste
the copied file. This will be fixed for the next release.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group