[LON-CAPA-admin] high server load and automatic redirection

Mark Lucas lucasm at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 16 16:18:45 EDT 2008

Peter,

You can configure the spare hosts in a file
called /home/httpd/lonTabs/spare.tab

You can simply list the loncapa server names you want as spares.
:primary can be placed after the spare in order to make it a primary
spare.

We actually use a system here where the DNS server points
loncapa.phy.ohiou.edu to three different servers (capa7,8,and 10). Each
of these has oua1, and older spare machine, as a spillover, and then a
list of outside machines.

You can list an nds access server as a spare as long as they're okay
with it.

I seem to remember that msu, colorado school of mines and ohio
university have all said it's fine to use their machines as a spillover
machines.

Later,
Mark