[LON-CAPA-admin] updating suse

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Sep 13 12:39:59 EDT 2007

Lars,

There have been problems with ZMD in opensuse 10.1 (and 10.2?), and
apparently ZMD will disappear from the future opensuse 10.3.

In LON-CAPA, CHECKRPMS checks if rpms are up to date, and sends e-mail to
the server administrator, if not,  The version of CHECKRPMS shipped with
LON-CAPA 2.5.X performs this check using rug for SuSE 10.1 and 10.2, and you
for SuSE 9.X (in opensuse, you was replaced by rug in 10.1 and 10.2)

rug is a command line interface to the ZENworks Linux Management (ZLM)
agent, so it requires ZMD.

In light of the instability of ZMD and its future disappearance from 10.3,
CHECKRPMS will be modified to use the command line tool "zypper" which does
not require ZMD.

If you wish to eliminate ZMD (and rug) you will need to modify
/usr/local/loncapa/bin/CHECKRPMS.  I hope to get a version built today
(9/13) which uses zypper in place of rug for SuSE 10.X

The command to update in zypper is:

zypper up

The command to list available updates is:

zypper lu

You can also use yast, but as that is a graphical tool, it will not itself
be used in CHECKRPMS.

All of these update tools can be used to update any packages maintained at
openSUSE mirror sites (including many required by the LONCAPA-prequistes
package).  However, they will not automatically update packages required by
LON-CAPA which are unavailable from the mirror sites, but instead were built
and placed in the LON-CAP repositories: http://install.loncapa.org/suse/
(For opensuse 10.2, this is a total of 22 packages).

To date, the custom-built packages created for a particular SuSE
version/architecture have not required update.  However, there is a need to
improve CHECKRPMS so it will provide an alert to SuSE/SLES system
administrators when these packages do need updating. Note: the checks for
Fedora, Centos5 and RHEL5 which use yum already do this automatically.  In
SuSE, to update any of the LON-CAPA built packages you would need to use
yast (refresh the repository, and then perform the update interactively.
In yast:
Software -> Software Management -> Filter (Installation Summary), and then
toggle the action from i to > for any packages needing updates.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group