[LON-CAPA-admin] 'Kicking the System'

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Wed Mar 21 10:54:20 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

> I patched lonnet.pm yesterday on one of my machines.
>
> I was hoping an httpd reload would do the trick. It did for the most part,
> but autoenroll and printing are both throwing errors (ie., those things
> that are external jobs).
>
> The 'correct' thing to do would be an httpd stop, loncontrol stop/start,
> and httpd start.

Autoenroll/printing don't need anything restarted. They are as you say
external jobs and thus don't care what state httpd/loncontrol are in.

I suspect you have errors in the lonnet.pm patch. What is the patch?

> Are there other options for a shorter down time or smoother transition?

httpd reload  is fine todo.

loncontrol's daemons don't depend on anything in the
/home/httpd/perl/Apache directory, and loncontrol reload should
cleanly pickup hosts.tab/domain.tab changes

Any other changes to lonc/d or other lon daemons require a loncontrol
restart

> What are the risks?

Bad perl in any of the .pm files will still cause apache to comedown
even when doing a reload.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-0-9-27,137