[LON-CAPA-admin] Serious troubles with lonmaxima

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Tue Jul 31 10:35:24 EDT 2007

Stefan Bisitz wrote:
> What is going wrong?
> #1: problems using &cas: It happens appr. every 20-30 new problem
> variations, that the server stops working and cancels the process after
> the default 10 seconds ("code run too long" message). Re-click on "Reset
> Submissions" works fine, no stop. Hence it's not a problem with a bad
> choice of randomized values.
>
> #2: From time to time lisp processes overload the server. They use each
> more than 99% of CPU (2 x 3 GHz and nearly no users working). "Server
> Load" shows 150%, 550% or even 1700% (!!!)

Again, there are thousand things to do at the same time :-(

Current status:
We figured out that our production server has still used maxima 5.9.2.
Shame on me - I misinterpreted the links to maxima. We changed the links
to the already existing version 5.11.0. Since then, only problem #1
appeared a few times. Even this strange behaviour stayed away in the
last days while we have been creating and testing problems which use maxima.

This keeps us quite relaxed at the moment but still alarmed. As we have
an other server now we can and will do some more testing and keep you
informed.

Stefan Bisitz