[LON-CAPA-admin] Possible environments for loncapa

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Tue Feb 13 18:25:40 EST 2007

Hi,

On Feb 13, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Lars Jensen wrote:

> We have run a lon-capa on a dedicated server in the past. My
> impression has been that lon-capa is basically an operating system
> that must be installed as an entity, with little room for running
> other software/servers on the same machine. I was wondering whether
> it correct, and if is possible at all to run lon-capa on a server
> that is not dedicated to lon-capa only. For example, is it possible
> to run lon-capa and a lamp server simultaneously?

Sure, you can run a lot of software concurrently with LON-CAPA.

But saving a few dollars for not buying another server might not be
worth the hassle of getting that all configured and maintained.

Since the "A" in "LAMP" is for Apache, you will need time to get the
Apache config files setup correctly. Since the "P" can be both Perl
and PHP, you might have problems in the latter case, since at least
in the past we had conflicts with PHP. We spend a lot of time
configuring everything, so the installations are easy.

I would recommend against it, but it's your choice. We'll have a
harder time supporting your installation.

- Gerd.