[LON-CAPA-admin] cleaning up Course Catalog?

Ray Batchelor batchelo at sfu.ca
Mon Dec 17 03:34:40 EST 2007

Hi Stuart,

Reading between the lines.  I am guessing that these will self-correct
when we upgrade?
I tried options 1&2  below, with no success... yet.

How/when do I "flush" the course logs?

Thanks,
Ray

On Dec 15, 2007 11:40 AM, Stuart Peter Raeburn <raeburn at msu.edu> wrote:
> Ray,
>
> Is it the case that there has been no activity in these two courses since
> shortly after you changed the course code/course owner?

This is likely as they were empty courses which were created as a
consequence of not being allowed to "clone".

> As it is now many weeks after you made the change, there are two ways to
> cause the records for the courses in the nohist_courseids.db database file
> (used to dynamically build the course catalog) to be updated to the current
> information.
>
> 1. As DC use "Select course" from the roles screen to access each of the
> courses.  This should cause the records stored for the two files to be
> updated with the current (correct) course code and owner (the values from
> the course's environment.db file), when the course logs are next flushed.
> or
>
> 2. As DC uses MCRS to temporarily change the course code and owner to
> different values, and then change them back to the values you want them to
> have.  This will cause the records for the courses in the
> nohist_courseids.db database file to be updated to the correct information.
> As these courses have apparently been inactive for a while, the possibility
> that your second update will be overwritten with outdated information from
> an existing session when courselogs are flushed should not exist (see
> discussion below).
>
> The most likely reason why the course catalog is not displaying your past
> change in course code is that for the two courses in question, although the
> updated course code/course owner information you entered via MCRS was stored
> immediately in nohist_courseids.db, when you made the change, it was
> overwritten, soon after, with outdated information when course logs were
> flushed from a different Apache child.
>
> This bug (5191) has been fixed by decoupling the storage of course data
> (description, institutional code, owner, type) in nohist_courseids.db from
> the storage of last course access time, which happens when course logs are
> flushed (this occurs periodically when the log for a particular course has
> reached a certain size, or when the Apache child process is terminated).
>
> The fixes are in the latest testing release - 2.5.99.0, and will be a part
> of the next production release (2.6).
>
> Stuart Raeburn
> MSU LON-CAPA group
>

> Ray Batchelor writes:
>
> > OK... I'm still not clear on this.  I have a couple of instances where
> > defunct courses are displayed, even though when I use MCRS it shows
> > that there is no course code and even that the owner has changed from
> > what is still being displayed in the the "Course Catalog" (after many
> > weeks).
> >
> > On Aug 17, 2007 10:27 AM, Guy Albertelli II <guy at albertelli.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Ray,

> >> Currently this is the only method.
> >>
> >> There can be a delay between the code is deleted and the update
> >> occurs.
> >>
> >> Might not be hard to get the delay reduced.

> [...]

Raymond J. Batchelor
Dept of Chemistry
Simon Fraser University