[LON-CAPA-admin] cleaning up Course Catalog?

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sat Dec 15 14:40:20 EST 2007

Ray,

Is it the case that there has been no activity in these two courses since
shortly after you changed the course code/course owner?

As it is now many weeks after you made the change, there are two ways to
cause the records for the courses in the nohist_courseids.db database file
(used to dynamically build the course catalog) to be updated to the current
information.

1. As DC use "Select course" from the roles screen to access each of the
courses.  This should cause the records stored for the two files to be
updated with the current (correct) course code and owner (the values from
the course's environment.db file), when the course logs are next flushed.

or

2. As DC uses MCRS to temporarily change the course code and owner to
different values, and then change them back to the values you want them to
have.  This will cause the records for the courses in the
nohist_courseids.db database file to be updated to the correct information.
As these courses have apparently been inactive for a while, the possibility
that your second update will be overwritten with outdated information from
an existing session when courselogs are flushed should not exist (see
discussion below).

The most likely reason why the course catalog is not displaying your past
change in course code is that for the two courses in question, although the
updated course code/course owner information you entered via MCRS was stored
immediately in nohist_courseids.db, when you made the change, it was
overwritten, soon after, with outdated information when course logs were
flushed from a different Apache child.

This bug (5191) has been fixed by decoupling the storage of course data
(description, institutional code, owner, type) in nohist_courseids.db from
the storage of last course access time, which happens when course logs are
flushed (this occurs periodically when the log for a particular course has
reached a certain size, or when the Apache child process is terminated).

The fixes are in the latest testing release - 2.5.99.0, and will be a part
of the next production release (2.6).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group