[LON-CAPA-admin] Server migration: Connection to LON-CAPA cluster lost?

Stefan Bisitz st.bisitz at fh-wolfenbuettel.de
Wed Aug 15 03:25:13 EDT 2007

Hi,

Some days ago we have migrated our LON-CAPA server from the old machine
(SLES9) to the new one (FC5) including transfer of all the data. This
seemed to work fine for us. Nothing special to mention so far.

Now we found out that the users cannot access the other servers in the
LON-CAPA cluster anymore. In "Browse Resources" the other domains are
shown but no content is available (e.g. /res/msu/ is empty). The Search
shows the domains in the selection box but finds nothing.

Peter told me that he could use the Search once yesterday but a second
try only provided no results.

That's what I did:
- Installed new server
  - LON-CAPA domain and servername were kept
  - IP address and DNS name changed
- Transfered data (/home/..., ...)
- Old server set to "STANDALONE"
- Executed loncapa-2.4.2/UPDATE on new server
  - Set to "PRODUCTION"
- cp /home/httpd/lonTabs/dns_domain.tab /home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab
- cp /home/httpd/lonTabs/dns_hosts.tab /home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab
- Changed DNS name in /home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab from old to the new one
- Executed /home/httpd/perl/searchcat.pl as www (*1)
- Restarted httpd and loncontrol

*1: