[LON-CAPA-admin] Dual core/dual processor

Raney, Steve A. saraney at UTMB.EDU
Tue Oct 3 12:26:10 EDT 2006

I am attempting a local install on a dedicated SUSE 10 box built for
this and would like to know if I would be better off downgrading to a
lower SUSE version. Please advise.

-----Original Message-----
From: lon-capa-admin-admin at mail.lon-capa.org
[mailto:lon-capa-admin-admin at mail.lon-capa.org] On Behalf Of Guy
Albertelli II
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 2:34 PM
To: lon-capa-admin at mail.lon-capa.org
Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-admin] Dual core/dual processor

Hi Ray,

> The biggest bang for buck would be what?

The more cores the better. So which ever way gets you the most cores per
dollar.

Additionally, more cores is better for overall throughtput then pure Hz

2 cores at 2 GhZ is better than 1 core at 2.5Hz

> Also, is this discussion most relevant for access servers, library
> servers or both?

Both benifit from more cores. Although generally in a multi-access
server environment like yours, pure processing speed is more important
on the access servers, and memory is more important on the library
servers.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137