[LON-CAPA-admin] auto enrollment timed out

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Nov 16 16:20:25 EST 2006

Hon-Kie,

Does this timeout occur when auto-enrollment is run from the nightly crontab
entry (i.e., when Autoenroll.pl runs) or when a roster is updated via the
web interface using ENRL -> Automated Enrollment Manager -> "Update Roster
Now"?

There is a $maxtries variable in fetch_enrollment_query() in

/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonnet.pm

The defaults are set to 1 (for web-triggered classlist retrievals) and 10
for Autoenroll.pl -triggered classlist retrieval.  These translate to wait
times of 200 s and 2000 s respectively before timeout in the two cases.

In both cases fetch_enrollment_query() retrieves institutional classlists
for the course by sending a querysend request to lond on the homeserver to
get a queryid, and then calling &get_query_reply($queryid) which then loops
100 times (with a 2s sleep each time) checking for
/home/httpd/perl/tmp/$queryid before timeout.  $maxtries determines how many
times &get_query_reply($queryid) is called before really timing out.

If this timeout or some other error occurs when retrieving the classlist
data you should see a entry in lonnet.log beginning: "fetch_enrollment_query
error"  as a result of the following logging transaction:

&logthis('fetch_enrollment_query error: '.$reply.' for '.$dom.'
'.$env{'user.name'}.' for '.$queryid.' context: '.$context.' '.$cnum.'
maxtries: '.$maxtries.' tries: '.$tries);

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group