[LON-CAPA-admin] Server Suggestions

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Mon Mar 27 14:26:07 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

> Does anyone have suggestions? One obvious option is pick up two 2850s. How
> much of an advantage is a 6850? Are there suggestions of nice AMD systems
> that people have been happy with?

We have a dual processor, dual core AMD access server that is really
quite impressive performance wise. Kicks the butt of the dual Xeon we
bought around the same time. (Even taking into account the double
processor advantage the AMD has.)

(It's an HP, we had issues during the install, some dists didn't even
work on it (SuSE 9ish I believe), but RHEL installed fine and it's
been running great all year.)

With the Dell the megaraid hardware contines to be not great (we've
had performance issues, sometime quite severe, with it (backups that
took 10 hours, ugh.)) but overall it has served us well over the past
2 years.

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-8-27,137