[LON-CAPA-admin] Error - Request forbidden

Mike Stanger mstanger at sfu.ca
Sat Mar 25 11:59:59 EST 2006

I've dealt with similar issues with spyware on various web apps (ie.
not just LON-CAPA, but a number of different ones including WebCT -
usually pages with some Javascript that matches "something" that a
spyware/etc. package is looking for)  -- The question I'd ask the
student at this point is what the URL is where she sees the "error-
request forbidden" message - my bet is that it's not your LON-CAPA
box or even in your domain -- probably some search engine or
advertising link -- and it's probably been taken down because of
complaints, hence the request forbidden error...

"PerfectNav" is the name of one of the perpetrators but there are
lots of others...   we put up a page on one of our troubleshooting
pages for students that has some information on the general problem...

http://www.sfu.ca/webct/logintroubleshooting.htm#Searchsite

Mike