[LON-CAPA-admin] upgrade inquires

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Tue Jan 3 14:54:39 EST 2006

Hi Paul,

> I'm about to do an upgrade too. We're currently running Fedora Core 2.
>
> > We gernerally suggest the process of doing a reinstall:
> >
> > http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2004-Novembe
> >r/000771.html
>
> This link says:
>
> }2. Do a clean install (not an upgrade) of the operating
> } system as per the instructions on http://install.loncapa.org/.
> } If /home is a separate partition you can leave it unformatted
> } to avoid step 3.
>
> }3. Restore your /home directory
>
> }4. Restore your /etc/httpd/conf/loncapa.conf
>
> }5. Install LON-CAPA as per the instructions.
>
> I understand everything up to this point. Won't reinstalling
> LON-CAPA overwrite all the settings I had so carefully preserved?

The UPDATE script, looks for exisitng settings during the update
process and preserves them.

> Most of LON-CAPA is in the /home directory but when I run install.pl
> that would replace a lot of that, wouldn't it?

Nope.

install.pl does:
- makes the www user if it doesn't exist
- installs the pwauth command if it isn't there
- sets up mysql and creates needed database and a few tables
- installs the needed httpd.conf file
- downloads the current latest stable version of the loncapa tarball.

So at the step in the install instructions after you have run
install.pl (and you have restored the /etc files you saved) You should
be able to do:

/etc/init.d/httpd start
/etc/init.d/loncontrol start

And everything should start up and be running.

The step when you run UPDATE is when we update all of the lon-capa
files.

Does that clear things up?

--
guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-8-27,137