[LON-CAPA-admin] Server migration

Peter Kovac kovac at gwu.edu
Fri Dec 15 12:12:27 EST 2006

> From: Gerd Kortemeyer <korte at lite.msu.edu>
>
> What should happen:
>
> * install LON-CAPA on the new server as "standalone," using a new IP
> address and DNS name, and test it
> * shut down LON-CAPA services on the old server (stop all services)
> * shut down LON-CAPA services on the new server (stop all services)
> * transfer /home
> * transfer /etc/httpd/conf
> * completely shut down the old box and/or unplug it
> * rename the new machine to the same DNS name as the old
> * either
>    - switch the IP address of the new box to be the same as the old
>    or
>    - switch the DNS entry
> * reboot the new box
>
> It's a cumbersome procedure - am I forgetting anything?
>
> - Gerd.

    - If you have filesystem authenticated accounts you'll need to
duplicate those home directories as well as account entries.  You could
transfer /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow but that may cause some trouble if
you don't setup your new machine *exactly* like the old one (some system
accounts may go missing or get duplicated).  Instead, copy/paste the
user lines from the old /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow into the new one
(everything about user 500 probably).

    - Make sure your MySQL passwords are setup the same in both
situations.  You may also want to do a MySQL dump/restore on the loncapa
tables.

    -P

--
Peter Kovac
Systems Coordinator & Trainer
email: kovac at gwu.edu
phone: (202) 994-3811
fax  : (202) 994-3001
mail : 725 21st St. NW Rm. 105
       Washington DC, 20052
--
"Ah, to be young again... and also a Robot." --Prof Hubert Farnsworth