[LON-CAPA-admin] Mystery of the disapperaing httpd-- SOLVED!

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Sun Apr 23 15:00:00 EDT 2006

Hi All,

Finally discovered the mystery of the disappearing httpd.

It is a bug in some versions of the CPAN module Date::Manip that
occurs because of an interaction between Fedora's 'prelink' script and
perl's initalization rutines

I know that Date::Manip 5.42a is bad, and I know that Date::Manip 5.44
is _good_.

You ca discover what version you have by doing

rpm -q -a perl-DateManip

Fedora 3 has version perl-DateManip-5.42a-3
Fedora 4 has version perl-DateManip-5.42a-4

SuSE 9.3 has version perl-DateManip-5.42a-127
(but is currently unaffected as it doesn't use 'prelink')

(Fedora 2, Fedora 5, RHEL 4, and SLES 9, are all good as they
have Date::Manip 5.44)

We will be packaging up a new version of this soon for the Fedora's,
and SuSE but to stop things from breaking in the mean time:

You need to first locate your copy of Manip.pm

This is most likely in (Fedora 3/4):

If it isn't you can find it by doing:
rpm -q -l perl-DateManip | grep Manip.pm

find /usr/lib/perl5/ | grep Manip.pm

Once found, look for these lines (should be lines 34-35):

# Determine if we're doing taint checking
$Date::Manip::NoTaint = eval { local $^W; unlink "$^X$^T"; 1 };

The part which is screwing things up is that 'unlink'.

Please replace this block of code with:

# Determine if we're doing taint checking
$Date::Manip::NoTaint = eval { local $^W=0; eval("#" . substr($^X, 0, 0)); 1 };

You don't need to restart anything at this point in time.

If anything goes awry, please contact me immeadiately. (I've tested
this in our cluster and all looks good.)

guy at albertelli.com   0-7-1-8-27,137