[LON-CAPA-admin] LON-CAPA & Placement testing

Jeffrey S Nugent/FS/VCU jsnugent at vcu.edu
Thu Apr 13 10:03:39 EDT 2006

Greetings,

We are planning to use LON-CAPA to do some placement testing in
mathematics for incoming students. My question is in regard to processing
course statistics and charts for large numbers of students and the
potential this may have for increased load on the server and possible
performance issues. We are running two servers (1 library / 1 access).

There will be approximately 1500-2000 students who eventually take the
placement test (essentially this number of students is enrolled in a
single L-C course). I'm wondering about what the conventional wisdom is
out there for running stat reports to obtain grades for 1500+ students at
once? We've never run this number of students before and are curious about
processing time to generate reports...any thoughts? Also, what impact
might the frequent running of these report have on performance?

Insights, feedback and suggestions most appreciated.

Best regards,

~Jeff

Jeffrey S. Nugent
Center for Teaching Excellence