[LON-CAPA-admin] 2.1.3 - httpd failed on FC4 (me too)

Todd Ruskell truskell at mines.edu
Tue Apr 4 13:08:06 EDT 2006

This is, unfortunately, a well-known bug with (I believe) yum and apache (at
least on FC3).  We've been dealing with this on and off most of the academic
year with our FC3 systems.

On Nov. 28, Stuart Raeburn posted a sequence of steps to resolve the issue,
which have always worked for us.  I'll copy them here again, for your
reference.

Todd

----------------
The approach I would take would be as follows

1. Were there any customizations of the Apache web server on your library
server?  You might want to make a back-up of /etc/httpd before proceeding.

2. Save a copy of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, e.g., as
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.confNOV28

3. Uninstall the current apache rpm:
rpm -e --nodeps apache-1.3.27-3

Note there will be some dependencies on the apache-1.3.27-3 rpm, notably
mod_perl and LONCAPA-prerequisites.  You might want to try:

rpm -e apache-1.3.27-3

first to check if there are any other dependencies.  If you are doing a
like-for-like replacement of the apache rpm, then I don't believe mod_perl
will encounter a problem when you re-install the apache1.3.27-3 rpm.  If
there are issues then you might also need to re-install the mod_perl_1 rpm.

2. Obtain a new copy of the apache 1.3 rpm,
wget
http://install.loncapa.org/fedora/linux/loncapa/3/i386/apache-1.3.27-3.i386.
rpm
(assuming Fedora Core 3 and 32-bit architecture).

For other distros or architectures, locate the appropriate rpm in
http://install.loncapa.org/fedora/ (Fedora)
http://install.loncapa.org/redhat (Red Hat enterprise) or
ttp://install.loncapa.org/suse (SuSE)

3. Install this rpm from whichever directory you downloaded it into.
rpm -ivh apache-1.3.27-3.i386.rpm

4. Replace the default /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf installed as part of the
new package installation process with a copy of your old conf file from
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.confNOV28

Stuart