[LON-CAPA-admin] L-C log rotation

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Mon Sep 19 11:28:57 EDT 2005

Hi Peter,

The dog ate my homework ...

Yes, there is a student activity log, logging all of his/her
activities, in the student's home directory. It doesn't rotate.

The course coordinator can view it from email messages or from the
student's home screen.

Smart practice that stops all of this: don't accept any "the computer
ate my homework" from any student who cannot present a valid receipt
number for that problems. Students need to write down the receipt
numbers - if they don't, their fault. Those are unique algorithmic
proof that they solved the homework, and does not depend on any data
stored on the server. You can validate those numbers from the PGRD
screen.

Proof-positive is much easier than proof-negative.

BTW, a frequent scenario is the following: room mate or study partner
left LON-CAPA logged in. Student A walks up to open terminal of
student B and solves B's homework instead of their own. B is
convinced that they did the homework, A naturally does not complain.
Receipts would also detect this situation.

- Gerd.