[LON-CAPA-admin] Searching / listing users

Stuart Peter Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Sep 13 15:57:38 EDT 2005

Jeff,

LON-CAPA currently lacks a web-based user interface for the Domain
Coordinator to retrieve the data you seek.  Existing interfaces for the
display of user information are available on a course specific basis in
ENRL.

LON-CAPA does include a single .db file (ids.db) that will provide speedy
access to usernames and student IDs for users in a given domain.  From the
command line on the library server a system administrator can rapidly
determine the total number of user accounts in their domain by using:

/root/loncapa-2.0.1/loncom/debugging_tools/dump_db.pl -u
/home/httpd/lonUsers/msu/ids.db |wc -l

(all on one line, and replacing msu with the appropriate domain name if you
are in another domain, e.g., vcu).

It would not be difficult to add a web interface to allow querying and
reporting from this .db file.  Searching by lastname would be less
efficient, but a brute force method could be devised to provide this (or a
.db file could be created containing username=lastname pairs). Gathering of
all information from all the environment.db files and roles.db files for all
the users could also occur, to allow sorting by role etc.

I'll most likely be writing scripts to carry out these tasks during the next
week.

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA development/support