[LON-CAPA-admin] FC3 Kernel Update

Yuri Csapo ycsapo at mines.edu
Tue Sep 6 11:38:49 EDT 2005

Hi Jim, thanks for the info. I have been playing with SuSE for other
projects and so far I'm impressed. I'm really looking forward to a
Debian version, though. In the meantime I will probably keep rolling out
my own kernel - time consuming maybe, but at least no surprises! :)

Yuri

Jim Maxka wrote:
> Hi Lars andYuri -- I had 3 kernel panics with Fedora core 3 last year on
> different machines with SATA and SCSI.  So, I decided to try SuSe.
> http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t10015.html
>
> It turns out that SuSe panics a lot too.  SuSe panicked on me Friday --
> it wasn't SCSI drivers, but iptables confilict would not recognize the
> ethernet card.
>
> The drag about SuSE is that there is no history of working kernels.  So,
> you just have to rescue it or reinstall.
> Lars -- Your restart method doesn't make any sense to me.  It sounds
> like you are restorting a corrupted file system -- which sounds even
> scarier than kernel panics to me.  Are you using ext3?  --jim
>
> Lars Jensen wrote:
>
>> Hi Yuri,
>>
>> Yuri Csapo wrote:
>>
>>> We've had problems. From what I could tell the drivers we need for
>>> the Adaptec SCSI adapter were not compiled in the kernel or available
>>> in the initrd, which caused the system to be unable to find its disks
>>> after initial kernel load.
>>

>> We have seen this problem regularly since we went from RH 7.3 to FC3 -
>> it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the kernel version. I
>> think it has occurred after a loss of power. A couple of reboots
>> usually worked.
>>
>> (A forced reboot by root has not caused the SCSI drives not to be
>> recognized.)
>>
>> Lars.

Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
Green Center Rm 249
Phone:  (303) 273-3503
Fax:      (303) 273-3475
Email:   ycsapo at mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu