[LON-CAPA-admin] FC3 Kernel Update

Yuri Csapo ycsapo at mines.edu
Tue Sep 6 10:34:02 EDT 2005

We've had problems. From what I could tell the drivers we need for the
Adaptec SCSI adapter were not compiled in the kernel or available in the
initrd, which caused the system to be unable to find its disks after
initial kernel load. After wasting a lot of time looking for patches
and/or a solution from Red Hat I just decided to compile and install my
own kernel. It's not as easy as letting yum do everything for you, but
at least now I know exactly what is in there and I can make certain my
drivers are available, even if my hardware is not that common.

Best of luck!

Yuri

lucasm at ohiou.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know there were issues with some kernel updates recently. Anybody
> having problems with the most recent FC3 kernel?
>
> kernel-smp-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
Green Center Rm 249
Phone:  (303) 273-3503
Fax:      (303) 273-3475
Email:   ycsapo at mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu