[LON-CAPA-admin] loncontrol dies at lond

Todd Ruskell truskell at mines.edu
Mon Nov 7 14:52:55 EST 2005

Guy,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, this still didn't seem to quite do it.  After a reboot(!)
loncontrol would appear to start properly, but still not authenticate users.
So we resorted to backup tapes from early Sat. AM.  Some students will
undoubtedly be unhappy they have to re-enter answers, but this is one of those
times where being a relatively small-scall operation means that some student
entry is the main source of lost data.  We did keep a backup of the
non-authenticating /home.  Are you interested in looking at it for the sake of
doing some kind of post-mortem on what, exactly died when we ran out of disk
space?  Or is this too far below your radar?

Todd

Quoting Guy Albertelli II <guy at albertelli.com>:

> Hi Todd,
>
> > Any ideas what can make the subject happen?
>
> Random .pid files in /home/http/perl/logs/
>
> can cause this:
>
> > [root at loncapa loncapa-2.0.2]# /etc/init.d/loncontrol start
> > Opening firewall access on port 5663.
> > iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
> > Error opening port.
> > Opening firewall access on port 8080.
> > iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
> > Error opening port.
> > Starting LON-CAPA
> > Starting LON-CAPA client and daemon processes (please be patient)
> > lonsql          running
> > lond            [root at loncapa loncapa-2.0.2]#
>

> do
>
> rm /home/httpd/logs/*.pid
>
> --
> guy at albertelli.com   0-7-2-0-27,137

Dr. Todd G. Ruskell                         Phone: 303-384-2080
Lecturer, Department of Physics             FAX:   303-273-3919
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401