[LON-CAPA-admin] Version 1.3.3

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Sat Mar 26 00:36:29 EST 2005

Hi Lars,

> > Did you use DHCP as you downloaded the new version LON-CAPA? If so, the
> > IP address of your laptop changed, and the laptop would not connect to
> > itself.
> >

> This is probably not the problem - the problem persists when the laptop
> is off the network.

When using Lon-CAPA in a dynamic IP/hostname environment you need to
be very careful about IP addresses and hostnames.

It's very easy to confuse Lon-CAPA in this situation.

To get things to work on mine in most situations I have set it up so
that my hostname is 'laptop.albertelli.com' and that the IP address is
127.0.0.1.
I have made a custom entry in my /etc/hosts of

127.0.0.1 laptop.albertelli.com

(This must be the first entry in there)

And I have my hosts.tab to locally be:

annarborl1:annarbor:library:laptop.albertelli.com:127.0.0.1

This does mean that few people can ever connect to my machine from
outside. But it does mean that I can easy get things running on it,
and a locally running web browser works fine in almost any situation.

2.0 will be much better about this, as it will be more trusting.

And thusly I will be switching on the SSL code checking as a
requiement to talk with s10 by then.
--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-2-9-