[LON-CAPA-admin] yum slow

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Thu Jan 27 13:58:57 EST 2005

Hi Lars,

> Why is yum so slow? On my system it takes up to 5 minutes from the time
> I execute yum update, until package download begins. And package
> downnload is slow also...

The default yum.conf file we ship points at

http://mirrors.kernel.org/

This is a roundrobin DNS, which means everytime you run yum you might
end up grabbing the rpms from a different host somewhere in the world.

If you have a favorite Fedora mirror that is fast for you, feel free
to replace the http://mirrors.kernel.org/ with this other site. We
just wanted to ship something that while not the fatest would most
likely work for most everyone by default.

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-