[LON-CAPA-admin] new install config help

Guy Albertelli II guy at albertelli.com
Tue Jan 25 17:25:49 EST 2005

Hi Rob,

> Went through entire install successfully while plugged into my school's
> network.  Used an i.p. address I made up.

Probably not a geat idea, can cause problems down the road.

I'd really suggest getting an IP address/hostname from your network
guy. Should be quick and easy for him. And will solve your problem below:

> Successfully able to surf to it from other network machines.
>
> NOT able to log in at the welcome screen; it goes to a "page not found"
> error.  Also not able to surf to it from my house (off school's network).

I need more concrete details but it sounds like a hostname/IP
resolution issue.

The login page has a <form> that is dynamically written to point at a
machine, if it is just going to go back to itself it will use the
hostname of the machine it is on which if it is different from it's
outside name you'll have issues.

Since you made up your IP I excpect you aren't using DNS so you are
going directly to the machine IP

Example: http://123.123.123.123/adm/roles

Whereas the machine has a hostname that you set during install
Example: my.host.name.com

So the 'Log In' button will submit it's data to
http://my.host.name.com/adm/authenticate

Since you are making things up on the fly. Set the hostname of your
machine to the IP address you picked.

the program

system-config-network

should let you do it, after changing it there you'll need to run the
UPDATE command again.

After that rebooting should fix it.

> Lastly, what's the best way to search the archives?  Dowload and do text
> searches?

Google - enter lon-capa-admin and whatever you are looking for
specifically.

--
guy at albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-2-